Unix/Linux System Administration
MARKOV Solutions is the free-lance company of
During my study Computer Science an Nijmegen
University, I came in touch with Unix. Since then, I have been working
with many kinds of Unix and Linux. Don't ask me a thing about Windows, ask
me about Unix!
My first occupation was in the main computing center of the Dutch National
Aerospace Laboratories (NLR). My task was
to write system maintenance code, which had to run on over 20 different
brands of Unix.
The second job was as trainer and course developer at Netherlands
largest Unix training company
Unix/Linux is the platform of choice for all
my activities: programming, website building, etc. My experience can
help your organization in various ways. To give some examples:
- you have short term or part time need for some extra hands in your
- you are in need for advice on infrastructural improvements,
- you need someone to disentangle the current situation both the hardware
- you want a stable (re-)installation of your Linux system, or
- you like to know whether Linux is an alternative for your Windows
Linux is a Unix dialect, just as HP, IBM and
Sun Microsystems produce their own dialects. The advantages of Linux
are that it is free of charge, you do not need licenses at all, and the
enormous amount of high quality software which is available.
The main disadvantage of Linux is that no single company is behind the
operating system: you need to get the support (if needed) from some third
party, for instance from me. I can take care of your need for assistance.
- Trainer Introduction Unix Users
at AT Computing.
- Trainer Experienced Unix Users at AT Computing.
- Trainer Unix Administrators at AT Computing.
- Course development Linux Daily System Maintenance
at AT Computing.
- Course TCP/IP-1: Local Area Networking at AT Computing.
- Course TCP/IP-2: Wide Area Networking at AT Computing.
- Six years multi-platform application developer for Unix in a huge
networking environment: the computing center of the Dutch
National Aerospace Laboratories (NLR).
- Operating systems used:
Linux Debian *
Linux Ubuntu *
Linux SuSE *
|(*) = still in daily use|
- System administration for websites, DNS, DHCP, Postfix, FTP, SSH
for a few dozen domains. Both commerially as voluntary work. (1995-)
- Teacher "Linux" at the School
voor ICT in Arnhem, part of the school for intermediate vocational
- Installation and daily maintenance of a network of Linux
file-servers, each with 2 to 16 TeraByte of disk-space (2004-2011)
- Maintainer of the backbone network infrastructure of the
Geomatics Business Park
- Maintainer of a small business infrastructure, with a few central
Linux servers and a dozen Windows PCs (2003-2011)
- System, database, and network optimization for an internet
bookings agency. (2003-2004)
Next page: Programming >>>